[3dprinter-general] A Sponsor for Printrun

Rock Storm rockstorm at gmx.com
Tue Mar 1 19:29:18 UTC 2016

Dear 3D Printing Team,

First of all, thanks a lot for your answers, a new version of the
package has been uploaded [1], I hope it incorporates all your
suggestions.

** debian/copyright:

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 22:37 +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> why did you write in your debian/copyright that calibrateextruder.py
> is licensed under GPL-2+ and printrun/gui/bufferedcanvas.py is under
> LGPL-2.1+ ? Isn't there only GPL-3+ in the file headers?
>
> But printrun/gl/libtatlin/actors.py seems to be GPL-2+. Further
> Joseph Benden and Max Retter did some contribution (as well as
> others) and want to be mentioned in debian/copyright.
>
> Strictly speaking Jonathan Marsden claims copyright of
> locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/pronterface.po but gave no license information.

I trusted the work of the previous maintainers, but you are correct,
the file is simply not right. I rewrited debian/copyright after having
talked with upstream developers to figure out what to do with those
files with no copyright or applicable license stated on them [2].

** debian/changelog and versioning scheme:

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 21:33 +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> UNRELEASED should only be used for the top entry, while it is not yet
> released. It should not appear anywhere else.
>
> Giving credit to the work you based your packaging on is good, but
> debian/changelog is not the place to do it

The debian/changelog file has been cleaned up and the first and only
entry has been set as “unreleased".

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 21:33 +0000, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> A version of the form YYYMMDD sorts properly, so you can simply use
> it without "0~".  It is higher than the last released version (that
> people may have installed; if in doubt, only versions in Debian
> count), so no need to add an epoch either.

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 22:37 +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> Wouldn't 20150310 be greater than 0.0.x? So why don't you just leave
> the epoch and 0~ ?

I agree with you both, no need to change the epoch, but shouldn’t I
keep the “0~”? My idea was to upload current latest version and try to
convince upstream to adopt the versioning format of 1.2.3 for future
releases, hence the “0~” to anticipate this transition. I’d rather use
the versioning format 1.2.3 over the YYYYMMDD because it gives much