[3dprinter-general] arduino-mighty-1284p is marked for autoremoval from testing

Gregor Riepl onitake at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 08:57:02 BST 2023

Hi Bas,

> While it is possible to update this package to GCC-13, it would also need to be
> updated to use the new Arduino API, as it is currently not functional.

Actually... This was already fixed:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1037593#21

Something seems to be blocking the builds, though. I notified the
submitter of the patch (Bastian).

> I think it might make sense to remove it instead, and if support for the 1284
> is still required, add the arduino-sanguino package instead. That supports the
> 1284, but also the 644 and maybe others. Personally I'm no longer using the
> Arduino libraries, which is why it hasn't been a priority for me to fix this
> package. Since nobody complained, I guess it wasn't a priority for many others
> either. That's why I think removal may be reasonable.

Actually, I always wondered what that package was for and why we're
maintaining it in the 3-D Printing team. I would think it's more suited
for the Electronics team[1].

That being said, I don't care either way. I'm not using it, but if it
doesn't cause too much work, I don't think it should just be dropped
either. The situation with binutils/gcc-avr is a very unfortunate one,
and there have been discussion about switching from the Atmel/Microchip
fork back to upstream gcc to avoid bugs like this.
I think it's worthwhile to have a high-quality C/C++ compiler that
supports modern standards for 8-bit microcontrollers.[2]

Regards,
Gregor

[1] https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-electronics-devel/
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=932989