[Adduser-devel] Default Homedir Permissions

Stephen Gran sgran at debian.org
Fri Feb 18 08:19:08 UTC 2011

This one time, at band camp, Ian Jackson said:
> [Someone] writes ("Re: Default Homedir Permissions"):
> > [stuff]
>
> We are in danger of wasting a lot of time with this discussion.
>
> The general pattern is that someone who is unhappy with the state of
> the world proposes a substantial change.  The worry amongst the rest
> of us is that the change might go ahead if we don't oppose it.
>
> So those of us who oppose feel impelled to respond to every message;
> whereas the proponent of change is dedicated.  There is no natural
> conclusion to this argument.
>
> So I would like the maintainers of the adduser package (which seems to
> be where the default is mainlys et) to post here to reassure us that
> they don't intend to make this change, and that if the maintainers are
> thinking of changing their mind they will consult debian-devel.

I don't want to prolong this thread, but this seemed useful to answer.

I certainly have no intention of changing the default on my own.
My hope is that Debian is used in ways I can't imagine, and I can not
begin to cater to all of the variety of needs that current and future
users will want.  I think that 0755 as a default plus the ability to
alter adduser.conf is enough flexibility to allow admins to create users
as they see fit, while still catering to the most common case out of the
box.  No matter what we pick, someone will be unhappy.

I'd be quite happy to take this up with the tech ctte if Olaf disagrees
strongly enough.

Cheers,
|  : :' :                                        sgran at debian.org |