[Alioth-staff-replacement] Update of the current state

Alexander Wirt formorer at debian.org
Fri Jul 14 19:35:47 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I owe you an update. The survey is over [1] and I got a lot of interesting
comments. Results show that I should not opt out open core software like
gitlab immediatly. I also talked with the gitlab guys, they signaled that
they want to change the CLA for us in a way that giving up authorship on
code isn't neccessary any more. They said that they want to help us
with features we are missing.
What does this mean: unfortunately the decision isn't done yet. The gitlab
people want to give me a demo of all those interesting gitlab features very
soon (if possible I'll make this demo public) to help me to come to a
decision.

There are several things that I really like on gitlab:

- gitlab-ci
- the review things
- the issue handling

and some other stuff. pagure on the other hand has less features, but also
has some very motivated and very dedicated developers that are happy to help
us.

I'll set myself a deadline on thursday evening to get a
decision. If you want to help me with that decision, post your thinkings and
comments to that list or talk to me on #alioth. The decision is not an easy
one and I want to choose the best thing for debian.

Alex
[1] https://people.debian.org/~formorer/Survey.pdf