[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth: the future of mailing lists

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Oct 10 09:34:13 UTC 2017

On  Mo 18 Sep 2017 13:34:49 CEST, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 09:22:34AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 01:57:31AM +0100, peter green wrote:
>> > Just because a team isn't big or established doesn't mean they
>> don't need a place to discuss issues relating to their activities,
>> some of which do not relate to any one particular package.
>> Contributers should be able to self-organise within the project and
>> for many dds email is their primary means of communication. Sure
>> you can just cc everyone involved but then there is no archive and
>> no way for new contributers to jump in.
>>
>> agreed.
>>
>> > I find the current proposal to drop alioth mailing lists without
>> a real replacement to be a major step backwards.
>>
>> fully agreed.
>>
>> However, I also fully understand and support the decision of those
>> who want to
>> maintain git.debian.org (or whatever the DNS name will be) in future, that
>> they don't want to migrate+run lists.alioth.debian.org as well.
>>
>> So given all that, I would also applaud other people who want to keep
>> lists.alioth.d.o running. (As one third of all binary packages in main
>> currently use such an address in the maintainers or uploaders field… (*))
>
> I am willing to step up to help keep lists.alioth.debian.org running
> as a standalone service using mailman. It seems like it is yet to be
> resolved whether this is a long-term strategic option, but this
> thread demonstrates the many practical reason that we should aim to
> maintain it beyond February 2018. Maintaining the current service
> separated out from Alioth would, it appears, reduce the impact on the
> project of the alioth switch-off considerably. The main requirements/
> issues seem to be:
>
> - retaining archives (ideally with consistent URLs)
> - retaining the email addresses in many maintainer fields
> - short-term uncertainty about replacements for certain use cases
>
> I have managed mailman installations for some time so I'm fairly familiar
> with how it works, and have some time from November onwards to work on
> this which I hope would be enough time to develop and implement a migration
> plan. I'm CCing the alioth and DSA teams so they are aware of this.

I also volunteer to keep lists.alioth.debian.org up and running with
full spectrum of the mailing list functionality part. Dozens of years
of experience running Mailman here, too. /me just subscribed to the
alioth-staff-replacement [1] ML.

The mailing list service on Alioth is the basis of 80% (or so) of my
communication / packaging worflow. Dropping the mailing lists is a
no-go for most of the packaging teams, I am involved in, I feel.

I just looked at moszumanska specs: 2TB disk storage, 32GB RAM, 6
cores. I am willing to contribute Resources for running such a Mailman
system (e.g. a VM virtualized on top of root-Server at Hetzner or
such). But I think that a service like Alioth Mailman should run on
Debian costs. So, indeed the question is, why DSA cannot provide a VM
or physical machine to a group of DDs and trust this group regarding
the server maintenance?

Greets,
Mike