[Alioth-staff-replacement] Mailman (lists.alioth) data migration from old infra

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sat Dec 30 19:56:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 04:22:31PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
>
> Hi Dom,
>
> > Sorry for the long hiatus between this and my previous messages. I had
> > some other things to take care of and to figure out how to proceed
> > without stepping on people's toes.
> >
> > I had some feedback from DSA that the http redirect and MX record
> > changes for lists.alioth.debian.org were possible, and so I'd like to
> > try and actually get this done in the next couple of months. I've
> > also determined based on feedback that trying to import all alioth
> > lists is probably not sensible as many of them are defunct/full of spam
> > - instead going for an opt-in approach.
> >
> > I summarised the current status at
> > <https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/MailingListContinuation> and I'd be
> > grateful for your feedback on this. In particular whether you would
> > be able to help with the migration process by providing access to sync
> > data for the lists we decide to migrate. Also (as a first step) a complete
> > list of lists, so we can email -owner addresses (or suggestions for a
> > better way to contact list owners?)
> Great to hear that someone is taking care about it. I create a file
> alioth_lists.txt and placed it in your home on alioth.

Thanks!

> Since admins are often out of date, contacting them directly doesn't make
> much sense. You should just contact the lists itself.

Hmm, this is worth bearing in mind certainly, but I think a two stage
approach might be best - owners in the first instance, then the list
otherwise for non-responsive lists. Otherwise I'll just be deluged
with hundreds of moderation messages at best, and worst the message not
reaching all lists.

Cheers,
Dominic.