[Amavisd-new-debian-devel] suggestions for new configuration

Paul Traina amavisd-new-debian-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:24:24 -0700

> Seems good, except 20-debconf is a dynamically generated conffile, I
> am not sure it is suited for /usr/share...

Oops, you're right.  Given the debconf issues, how about:

	/etc:
		10-debconf-predebian
		30-debconf-postdebian
		40-local		(hand edited by user)

	/usr/share
		00-upstream-defaults
		20-debian-defaults

>     Paul> 4.  Rename 30-user to 30-usertemplate, or better yet, move
>     Paul> it to /usr/share/doc and instead document to people that
>     Paul> they should create a 40-<blah> with just their changes in it
>     Paul> (like my 40-local, also attached).
>
> It already is under /usr/share/doc/amavis/examples/sample.conf.gz, and
> installed by default.

Let me step back, perhaps I am making the wrong assumptions about your
intentions from the start.

My assumption with conf.d was that you had a problem with all of these
weird defaults showing up in a complex user config file.  This makes
upgrading and merging a pain in the butt.

If the point is to make merging during upgrades simpler, then having the
users tempted to edit a large 30-user file full of defaults in comments
causes you to end up with the same problem.

> Another possible solution is just have the rule "if you change
> $mydomain then you must change the other values in the same config
> file", I don't like this, but it is the only solution I can think of
> right now.

?? You have conf.d and you have ordering, so why not split it?