[Android-tools-devel] android-tools git repo a bit messed up

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Fri Jan 1 16:18:53 UTC 2016

+list

On 11/12/15 21:41, Scott James Wakeling wrote:
> Apologies for my absence.. I am a father now. :)

Congrats! And sorry for the late reply, I had just begun my holidays.

> And many thanks for these helpful instructions. I didn't know to use gbp
> as I am new to Debian packaging.
>
> I have installed git-buildpackage now and would like any opportunity to
> practice using it, so let me know if I can help with anything.
>
> I notice there remains a 5.1.1+git20150904-1 branch in the repo. Should
> I at least delete this branch to tidy up after my mess? It is not
> needed, correct?

Correct, it's not needed - I only kept it in there because I thought you might want to look at it again. But please delete it if you're done with it. :)

As I understand it, the rest of the Debian Android team is working on better / less hacky long-term solutions - https://wiki.debian.org/AndroidTools - and the current android-tools package will go away eventually. But I haven't looked at this myself.

In the meantime, Fathi was also trying to add extra things to the existing package, but I'm not sure how far he got. At the very least, we would need to re-pack the .orig.tar and change the version to something like 5.1.1r29+ds1-1. (Each debian package is split into a .orig.tar and a .debian.tar. The .orig.tar is meant to be directly from upstream, but for the current android-tools package we're using a script to build it because upstream android doesn't do proper releases like that. This complexity is reflected in the debian android-tools.git but it's not explicitly obvious, to someone that doesn't regularly work with Debian packages.)

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git