[Android-tools-devel] Fwd: google-android-platform-* packages WAS: android-platform-libcore/6.0.1+r16-1

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jul 18 15:10:00 UTC 2016

I thought about enabling `android update sdk` in the Debian package's
version of `android`, but now I'm thinking that it would be better to do
it all with Debian packages.  I think a primary use case of the Debian
packages will be to set up a system to build Android apps in an
automated way (e.g. via Chef, Puppet, Ansible, CI script, etc).  It'll
be a lot easier to do that if all of the components of the SDK can be
directly `apt-get install`ed.  `android update sdk` is a really crappy
package manager, and I've spent quite a bit of time fighting with it
when automating things like CI builds.

I think it could make a lot of sense to have a single
google-android-platform-installer source package that then makes
multiple google-android-platform-*-installer binary pacakges for each
platform number.  It might even make sense to have a single source
package for all of these installer binary packages.  The source package
would just contain basically a template, then the build process would
generate lots of binary packages based on replacing things in the
template using a list of values for all of the Google binary packages
that we want to support, e.g.

* docs
* platform-*
* sys_img-*