[Android-tools-devel] porting to other archs WAS: Android N source code now available

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Aug 25 14:40:01 UTC 2016

Chirayu Desai:
> Hi Kai-Chung
>

> On 08/24/2016 03:26 PM, 殷啟聰 wrote:
>
>> Time to Re-enable ARM Builds!
>> =============================
>>
>> A guy from Debian LAVA complained about removing ARM builds of ADB and
>> fastboot at the removal bug <https://bugs.debian.org/817823>. And I am
>> also thinking about buy ARM laptops in the future, it would be a great
>> pity if Android Tools won't be available on those platforms. Chirayu
>> has been using ARM64 Debian, he can help as well.
>>
>> We gave up the support of ARM and MIPS builds because libbacktrace
>> FTBFS on MIPS and libunwind FTBFS on ARM64. Several hours ago I fixed
>> the FTBFS of libunwind, and it already build fine on armel and armhf,
>> why not build them? Now I have setup ARM and MIPS QEMU environments on
>> my machine, and buildd builds all architectures for us, it won't be a
>> burden to support them.
>>
>> If we don't enable the builds for ARM and MIPS for the reason that
>> "Google officially supports the SDK on x86", well we can't really
>> enable the amd64 build either because Google only officially supports
>> the SDK on 32-bit x86.
>>
>> We still won't consider building the SDK on other architectures like
>> PowerPC or Sparc because Google only supports the Android system on
>> x86, ARM and MIPS, and libunwind doesn't have the corresponding source
>> files on other platforms and therefore can't be built.
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing Android SDK on MIPS. Android SDK on ARM and
>> MIPS, this is one of the attracting points of android-tools in Debian!
> I will say that I do really want this to happen. I had an ARM
> chromebook, and am currently using an ARM64 android tablet as my laptop.
> I never had a "proper", x86 laptop.
>
> I'm willing to work on and maintain this. Big +1.

I don't think anyone objects to porting all of the android-tools
packages to any/all of the Debian architectures.  Up until now, I
thought it was important that we got app building working on at least
one arch before trying to port the packages.  We have achieved that
central goal, so I think that with 7.0/N it is a good time to bring in
porting efforts, especially if you are willing to support them.

.hc