[Apt-zip-devel] r73 - in branches/nix-scripts: . debian methods

Eddy Petrişor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 08:20:04 UTC 2006

On 25/07/06, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate at debian.org> wrote:
> Eddy Petrisor wrote:
> > Author: eddyp-guest
> > Date: 2006-07-24 00:18:52 +0000 (Mon, 24 Jul 2006)
> > New Revision: 73
> >
> > Added:
> >    branches/nix-scripts/methods/write-fetch-d4x
>
> Hello Eddy.
>
> I don't agree with your definiton of the fetch scripts ;-)
For a moment I thought you were serious. In any case, I wanted to make
some changes in a branch so it does not interefere with regular
development, if any; also I wanted to be sure that there are no
regressions before asking for advice.

> I think that the script should be smarter, so in one script
> you should include support of curl, lynx and d4x.
I guess the fetch function could try to identify which tools are
available at run time, but as I said, I wanted first to have no
regressions.

> And we should use new scripts for very different methods,
> where the changes are not only one line (i.e. for
> smarter script (maybe graphical tk), which requires more
> tools, .bat windoze script, ... ).
That is still possible via the old way of creating scripts and looking
at lftp man page, I think that is the way we will have to do it in
that case.

> Anyway user at apot-zip-list time should be able to
> set prefered order of script, (to overide wrong
> tools). It would be nice if the user could
> change also on fetch time (variable at the top,
> i.e. IGNORE_LYNX='not no'), but than maybe it will be
> difficult for a very portable script.
Maybe IGNORE_METH='lynx wget', so will use curl even if wget and lynx exist.

> anyway, thanks for the improvements!
np, I had the idea after reading some Gentoo documentation which
showed how polymorphism can be implemented in bash. Basicaly, if you
redefine a function it will have the new functionality from that point
on. That could be used in the way I did with write-fetch-${METHOD}
sourcing. BTW, I don't remember if I used "source" or ".", but it
seems "." is more portable.

--
Regards,
EddyP