[Apt-zip-devel] apt-offline SIMPLE web interface

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE macanas_ped at gva.es
Tue Apr 22 13:35:22 UTC 2008

De: Giacomo A. Catenazzi [mailto:cate at debian.org]
Enviado el: lun 21/04/2008 10:35
Para: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
CC: apt-zip-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
Asunto: Re: apt-offline SIMPLE web interface

>Languages are not countries, and some ISO code for language and for
countries doesn't match.
I.e. "eu" is Basque language (ISO 639), but used as Europa union
"country" code ("reserved" in ISO 3166-1).

I agree. But a locale is generally a  language and a country (this is language  + country).

>geoip is the right solution, but anyway it is complex to implement,

Provisonally, one can use this JavaScript option, easy to implement, if convenient ;-)

>because we should import from debian the list of mirrors, what part
of archive they mirror (some mirror are not complete: rare,
architectures, not all distributions...), and we should find what
is the nearest mirror of a unknown country.
i.e. what is the nearest mirror of Luxemburg (.lu). There are
250 top level domains, and countries outside Europe could be
very difficult (i.e. very time intensive) to check. On one
of my site, I have people from 80 countries (and territories),
with a lot of unknown islands in southern pacific.

We would begin in some place. This can be later improved ;)

> * The command "apt-offline" (without parameters) would create a
> packagelist.htm file (and rename existing packagelist.htm file to
> packagelistold.htm ).

why an htm file?

Can be manually used (the user can click to download).

>> The user then would download the files and store them in a folder (the name
> of the folder could be standardized by default).
>
>> "Apt-offline install foldername" would "apt-get install" all the files in
> folder "foldername".

>yes, like apt-zip

This is a good way.

You talked about the website needs more graphics. Be can begin with a Tux image ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux ) or a Debian and Ubuntu logo.

>"apt-offline list" do much better that "apt-get --print-uris":
it distinguish the "suites" (backport, multimedia, volatile, stable,
testing), and allow you to mix the suites, so if you installed
package A from a suite, it will search the updates only on such suite.

I am going to include this information in the wiki page about apt-offline ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Offline )

>Anyway, I'll do only the back-end and the web interface.
The front end should be done from "Synaptic" or other people
(but only when apt-offline is complete, and it as a stable interface)

We could use some code from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Synaptic/PackageDownloadScript

Regards.

Pedro.