[Aptitude-devel] Inconsistent help message

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Sun Mar 30 19:47:06 UTC 2008

  Huh:

 1.9 URIBL_AB_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: main.cc]
 1.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: main.cc]
 1.5 URIBL_JP_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: main.cc]
 1.5 URIBL_OB_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: main.cc]
 1.8 URIBL_PH_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the PH SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: main.cc]
-2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
                            [score: 0.0000]

  No, I didn't want to read anything about C++ programming; thank you,
spamassassin.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:40:07AM +0100, Jens Seidel <jensseidel at users.sf.net> was heard to say:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I noticed that today some minor l10n bugs got closed by Christian where at
> least one minor issue is not yet addressed: aptitude --help uses full stops
> very inconsistently and I want to fix it:

>  -h             This help text
>  -s             Simulate actions, but do not actually perform them.
>  -d             Only download packages, do not install or remove anything.
>  -P             Always prompt for confirmation or actions
>  -y             Assume that the answer to simple yes/no questions is 'yes'
>
> Please tell me whether you prefer full stops or not. I think it would be a good
> idea to use these as the messages start with a capital and could consist of
> multiple sentences. Do you agree?

  I think that makes sense.

> There is also the following comment in main.cc:
>   // This is out of line with the rest to avoid messing up
>   // translations.  Eventually all the usage information will move to
>   // a table-layout-based approach, which will avoid this sort of
>   // problem.
>   printf(_(" forbid-version - Forbid aptitude from upgrading to a specific package version\n"));
>   printf(_(" update       - Download lists of new/upgradable packages\n"));
>
> If you want I can increase the identation and unfuzzy all translations as
> well. But please note that "--with(out)-recommends" is probably too large to
> get properly indented.

  Sure, that would be great.

  Daniel