[Aptitude-devel] Plans for aptitude 0.5.0 - 0.6.0.

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Mon Nov 10 06:25:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:36:40AM -0800, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 01:42:54PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:29:50AM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> > > On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 08:15:48PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:

> > >   That was a wildly optimistic estimate.  The main problem was that I had
> > > to completely redesign the entire process of invoking dpkg, bottom to top,
> > > in all frontends, in order to acheive this in a reasonable way.  I also,
> > > along the way, fixed the GTK+ frontend to run its downloads in a
> > > background thread.  The new code should be a lot more stable, plus it
> > > runs dpkg in a tab!
> >
> >   One problem that's left: it looks like the new code crashes sometimes
> > after downloads. [snip]
>
>   Ok, I introduced some indirection in how slots are copied between
> threads to hopefully eliminate this problem.  Please let me know if you
> still see the code crashing, it's possible there's some other subtlety
> I'm missing.  (I hate threads)
>
>   Hopefully I can cut a release for experimental this weekend.

  Nope, but I did finish the last little UI tweak that I wanted to get
in (the dashboard should be a lot more useful now...)

  There seems to be a crashing gremlin still hanging out, but I can't
track it down (only saw it once).  Unless I have a clever idea about
where it is, I'll do the release tomorrow and hope someone else can
make it happen in their debugger. ;-)

  Daniel