[Aptitude-devel] Opinions about the GTK version of aptitude

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:59:01 UTC 2008

(CC me, please, as I am not subscribed on this list)

Hi!

I don't know what is the exact purpose of the GTK version (if it's a
complete graphical replacement for aptitude or just an easier thing to
use), but being an ncurses aptitude user I have some suggestions:

- option to not download the changelogs;
- split in sections (like the ncurses version):
  - display new packages
  - display installed packages
  - not installed packages
  - obsolete and local packages
  - virtual packages
  - tasks
- minesweeper displays nothing (no window or tab is open):
  sh: /usr/games/gnomine: not found
If you split aptitude into aptitude and aptitude-gtk, a suggests on
gnome-games will be needed (as I think that recommends is too strong).
It's also good to display a message saying that it could not open the
minesweeper game.

- "About" displays nothing (no window or tab is open)

I get a lot of messages on the terminal:

(aptitude:21113): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to
error parsing markup: Error on line 6 char 56: Odd character '@',
expected a '>' or '/' character to end the start tag of element 'faw',
or optionally an attribute; perhaps you used an invalid character in an
attribute name

- include "--no-gui" when using "aptitude --help"
- while you distribute aptitude as it is now, document in NEWS.Debian
that by calling "aptitude" you will get the graphical version now and
not the ncurses one.

- option to use experimental branch (for example, on the command line I
can call "aptitude -t experimental", but it would be nice to
graphically select the distribution that I want to use).

At least for a first look, I could see these things that could be
improved (for me).

Thank you!

Best regards,
Nelson