[Aptitude-devel] New dependencies of aptitude

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Nov 12 16:21:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:30:28AM -0200, "Nelson A. de Oliveira" <naoliv at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> With the new version of aptitude (0.5.0), wouldn't it be nice to have a
> version that has no dependencies on graphical libraries?

  That's the eventual plan.  I actually got halfway into splitting the
package last night, when I realized that I had forgotten to check that
disabling GTK+ in configure actually disabled GTK+ -- it *compiles out*
the code but still links against the library.  D'oh.  I decided to just
plow ahead with the release to get it out there, rather than delaying
it further to get that straightened out.  There isn't much in this new
release outside the GTK+ frontend anyway, so everyone who doesn't want
it or the Xapian searches can just keep using the older version for now.

  So don't worry, this will happen eventually.  In fact, I just fixed
the configure script to support a future package split.

  Daniel