[Aptitude-devel] Pictures and update of the Spanish translation.

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Tue Nov 17 02:35:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:50:17PM +0100, Omar Campagne <ocampagne at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > How did you created
> > the images? Have you reduced the resolution to keep these small? Maybe you
> > can use pictures which higher resolution and apply the tool optipng to better
> > compress the PNGs.
>
> Thanks for the tip, I'm already looking at optipng. I used gimp to
> resize the image, and then I changed mode RGB colors for indexed to
> further reduce the size (in bytes) of the image.

  The images I took are just raw screenshots, no postprocessing
involved.  If I remember correctly, they were taken using the Gnome
screenshot tool in an 80x24 xterm with the default font.

> However, once the documentation is built, the pictures are resized in
> the manual, taking all the width it can (and corresponding height).
> Because of that, they look bad. Small pic way too resized.
>
> Daniel, is there any reason why you wanted such big pics in the manual?
> Sometimes they are so big I cannot view them in the screen.

  No.  I believe that what you're seeing there is just the default
output of the docbook XSL stylesheets (they appear to set all
screenshots / images to take up the full page width).  Probably a
little spelunking in their docs would turn up the parameter that needs
to change to adjust this behavior.

  Daniel