[Aptitude-devel] Find recommened packages which aren't dependencies

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Mon Nov 23 16:32:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 02:29:27PM +0100, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott at mirix.org> was heard to say:
> although this is the development mailing list of aptitude, I want to
> ask a rather difficult usage question:
>
> How do I find the packages which were installed, because the are
> recommened, but aren't required by any package?

  I'm not sure you can really do this via the search language right
now.  You could just disable recommendations and see what would be
removed:

  $ aptitude  -s -o 'apt::autoremove::recommendsimportant=false' -o 'aptitude::recommends-important=false' -o 'aptitude::keep-recommends=false'  -o 'apt::install-recommends=false'  install

  Daniel