[Aptitude-devel] search for word "package" returns high number of results

Cyril Chaboisseau cyril.chaboisseau at free.fr
Sat Nov 28 11:44:58 UTC 2009

Looking for a package manager, I did the following search:

aptitude search ~dpackage

which gave me a very high (14636) number of packages which of course are
not related to my query

this is a around half of what I would get with the 'true' query term

$ aptitude search ~T|wc -l
31614

this might have to do with the fact that the word "package" is being
taken into account (e.g. indexed) when looking in the description

BTW, this "bug" is also present with apt which returns a lower number of
results:

$ apt-cache search package|wc -l
14558

--