[Aptitude-devel] Problem building documentation.

Omar Campagne ocampagne at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 06:14:07 UTC 2009

Hello:

I'm translating the manual into Spanish, and when I tried to build the
documentation yesterday, I started to get all kind of mistakes I haven't
seen in other occasions.

I get to the point where xlstproc is invoked for the first time.
Some issues I get when trying to open the resulting aptitude.xml file
with  "Conglomerate xml Editor" are:

- Problem parsing &manpage; entity (nowhere to be seen either in msgids
or msgtrs)

-  expected '>', on lines such as <imageobject> <imagedata
fileref='images/broken-snapshot.png' format='PNG'
width='100%' scalefit='1'/> </imageobject>
in the msgid (I deleted my "translation" of it, yet I still get the same
mistake)

- Opening and ending tag mismatch (i.e. #: en/aptitude.xml:1580) on
msgtrs where, i.e, only 2 appear, and they are fine. In this case it's

- Problems with varlistentry line 1523 and listitem

- Opening and ending tag mismatch: variablelist line 844 and
varlistentry, on a msgid and msgtr with no special marks but for
"&aptitude;". Rest is plain text on both msgs.

#: en/aptitude.xml:1597
msgid ""
"At this point, you know enough about &aptitude; to actually make "
"modifications to your system."
msgstr ""
"En este momento, ya sabe lo suficiente acerca de &aptitude; como "
"para llevar a cabo modificaciones en el sistema."

- expected '>', on a area that is "blank" in the PO file. (happens all
over the document)

I also tried to build the French translation, which was also impossible,
as it doesn't even recognize any entity.

I've been "playing" and learning about po4a, but I know nothing about
docbook. However, I find strange double entries in the msg headers in
all the PO files. Example:

Original document:
#. type: Content of the dselect entity
#: en/aptitude.xml:7
msgid "<command>dselect</command>"
msgstr ""

Translated document:
# type: Content of the dselect entity
#. type: Content of the dselect entity
#: en/aptitude.xml:7
msgid "<command>dselect</command>"
msgstr "<command>dselect</command>"

msgmerge -U po pot doesn't eliminate the extra header entries.

As an experiment, I tried invoking ":g/.*#\ type.*/d" in Vim, in order
to delete all lines starting with "# type", with no avail, though (it
seems to me) that I started getting less mistakes at build time (or not,
not really sure).

Remember
http://www.mail-archive.com/aptitude-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg00400.html
?

By coincidence, that very day I was trying to build the doc, getting
weird errors (and going nuts :) till Daniel sent that email. Can't
really remember, but I think some mistakes were similar to this day.

Any suggestions? Is the problem on my side? po4a 0.36.3-1 (on testing),
by the way.

Kind regards, Omar