[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.5.9rc2 released

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Tue Sep 15 16:40:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 05:21:34PM +0200, Sven Joachim <svenjoac at gmx.de> was heard to say:
> On 2009-09-14 16:18 +0200, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 08:57:16AM +0200, Sven Joachim <svenjoac at gmx.de> was heard to say:
> >> Maybe the libreadline-dev package gives a hint, aptitude needs some
> >> suasion to install it:
> >
> >   That's correct: in response to a lot of complaints (e.g., #359171),
> > the resolver has been redesigned to be more conservative about trying
> > to remove packages.
>
> I see.  But the current behavior seems a bit too conservative, and that
> may also upset people, e.g. when they want to install a different MTA.

  We'll see how that goes.  The new behavior allows for some degree of
customization, although it's of necessity a lot less fine-grained (in
return, you get a guarantee about how aptitude will behave, rather than
a best-effort attempt to meet your criteria).  For instance, you could
easily tell aptitude that it shouldn't try to cancel *all* of your
actions until it's tried removing packages.

  Daniel