[Aptitude-devel] sigh, bad old upgrade behavior?

Miles Bader miles at gnu.org
Tue Mar 2 07:44:19 UTC 2010

Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> writes:
>   The interactive resolution behavior just tries to solve dependencies.
> It doesn't know whether you're upgrading, installing new packages, or
> removing stuff.  The command-line has the advantage of more context,
> and the GTK+ GUI has a button to invoke the upgrade logic, but I haven't
> plumbed anything comparable into the curses frontend.

Hmm, well I dunno if the internal organization makes it convenient, but
couldn't each package have a field associated with it that indicated the
manner by which it entered "please install/update" state -- i.e., the
user command which prompted the change -- and then use that field to
provide a hint?  Then the various interactive commands -- "U", "+", etc,
could set that field differently...

-Miles

--
Carefully crafted initial estimates reward you not only with
reduced computational effort, but also with understanding and