[Aptitude-devel] Use of usertags in bug triage

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:01:52 UTC 2012

Hi all

It is great to see growth in the effort to revive aptitude, cleaning
up the BTS is vital to that.

I have been making use of the usertags feature [1] to categorize the
bug reports against aptitude.  I have tagged approximately one third
of the outstanding reports this way.  The results [2] are quite useful
in tracking duplicates and locating areas of interest to work on.
Most of the tags are named after a relevant area of functionality, of
note there is:

easy -- very minor issues suitable for newcomers to the project
errors -- reports related to error handling/reporting during
update/download/install which I intend to tackle in the near future
(unless beaten to it!)
new -- requests for new features
debian -- related to the debian packaging of aptitude

The rest are fairly obvious, please ask if not sure.

Please feel free to use these tags on the remaining items as you
triage them with a message to control at bdo, e.g.:

user mandyke at gmail.com
usertags 372795 + new

Note that I have generally limited each bug report to only one of
these tags, placing it in the most relevant section.

Happy hacking

Daniel

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/bugs.debian.org/usertags
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=aptitude;dist=unstable;users=mandyke@gmail.com;ordering=aptitude-sort