[Aptitude-devel] Heads up: aptitude-gtk will likely vanish from Debian

Stefano Canepa scanepa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:16:55 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I checked out all aptitude code and I had a look at the gtk related code. I could help as I know GTk+ and it's C++ bindings but I need some help with aptitude internals. aptitude-gtk needs to be updated to the new gtk+ 3 it's glade built interface cannot be modified with the new glade application.

I think that before starting coding the team needs to decide if a GTK+ UI to aptitude is worth the effort, creating a new interface and maintaining it's not so easy. The question should be: why a user should decide to use aptitude-gtk instead of synaptics?

If the team thinks a gtk UI is useful I can try to help in my ability. aptitude-gtk popularity is not so high but I think that this is because its interface is a little bit messy.

In the meanwhile I think the decision to stop building gtk is correct as a rebuild of UI will be a not so short work.

Bye
Stefano