[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.6.6-1 available on mentors.d.n

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Tue Mar 27 09:03:37 UTC 2012

Hi Manuel,

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
> 2012/3/26 Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>:
> > There are so many small itches fixed in this release: default length
> > of some %-escapes, ordering of top-level sections [...]
[...]
> Funnily enough, you're the submitter of one of these bugs complaining
> about the length of the version fields...

Oh, I reported that? If so I totally forgot about that. :-)

> so consider it a present :)

I do. Thanks! :-)

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
> > * debian/control and debian/README.Debian have been updated.
>
> I don't think that the aptitude-gtk entry should be commented out, it
> should be removed completely.

I'm fine with both.

> At least I've never seen comments in debian/control files before,

They're officially allowed since Policy 3.8.1:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-controlsyntax

> much less whole entries -- but maybe it's because I haven't seen
> enough.

It's the first complete commented entry I remember to have seen, too.
The most common cases of commented debian/control entries I've seen so
far are the Vcs headers in dh-make templates. :-)

> The aptitude-gtk entry can be rescued from past revisions if needed
> again in the future.

Indeed.

> > * Support for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck has been added. (Yay!)
>
> AFAIK this line in debian/rules needs an "export" in the beginning:
> DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS = hardening=+all
>
> Also, if debhelper>=9 is going to be used, the debian/rules file could
> use some rewriting.

Do you think of "dh" style rewriting? If so: I think that's not
necessary and -- if wanted -- it should be done when everything else
is smoothed out as it potentially introduces a bunch of new issues.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin