[Aptitude-devel] FTBFS with pbuilder + export (and performance)

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:30:56 UTC 2012

2012/3/29 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>:
>> Also, on the performance topic, maybe it's worth looking also at the
>> default hardening options, maybe some of them (or its combination) has
>> some significant impact as well, so it'll might be something to
>> consider.
>
> Perhaps.  The set of defaults was selected by more informed folk than
> I.  I reason that they have already weighed the general impact on
> performance versus security when choosing that set.

That's right, but the people taking the decision have to think about
the overwhelming general case (e.g. shells, browsers, mail clients),
and some packages might have especial performance considerations (DBs,
web servers, compression programs and codecs, etc).  I recall the
discussions a few months/years ago, when people were proposing this,
having for example people from HPC camp complaining.

Althouhg one can argue that aptitude, needing root permissions and
installed on almost every Debian system out there, should be perhaps
more concerned with security than speed -- even if performance is also
a major concern for the project.

> As such, investigating the impact on aptitude of individual flags from
> the default set is not something of great interest to me, though
> please share any findings if you go ahead with this.

I was reading through the documentation and it seems that PIE is the
one with the most impact in terms of performance.  As you measured it
and it's not very big, I guess that this is not a problem.

Cheers.