autopkgtest-xenlvm: installation fails if hostname is not in DNS?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Tue Sep 20 20:29:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 02:36:44PM +0300, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> I backported autopkgtest to squeeze and tried installing to my home
> machine:

Hi Timo, sorry for not being very active here, but I think it's great
you're hacking on autopkgtest!

FWIW, I have some spare (virtual) servers on which I wanted to setup
regular autopkgtest runs. At my last attempt, I gave up as I didn't have
enough time to investigate whether the old infrastructure to make runs
had bitrotten or not. Are you already at the point where you know the
test runners can be used? Is there any up to date documentation? I'll be
happy to give it a new try and/or give access to someone interested in
working on that.

> Could we just replace the use of adnshost with "getent host"? It does
> the lookup using gethostbyname() which will use whatever is configured
> in /etc/nsswitch.conf instead of hardcoding DNS use.

Although I'm not the maintainer, I believe it'd be fair for you to go
ahead and implement the changes you're proposing. Now that I've said
that, I'm sure Ian will jump back in and correct me :-)

Thanks for your enthusiasm about autopkgtest!
Cheers.