[axel-devel] [axel-Bugs][310625] Support Metalink format for listing mirrors

axel-bugs at alioth.debian.org axel-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sun Oct 5 12:06:12 UTC 2008

Bugs item #310625, was opened at 2008-02-27 18:03

Initial Comment:
Metalink is a simple XML format for listing mirrors & checksums. Many download programs use it.

http://www.metalinker.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink

Comment By: Nobody (None)
Date: 2008-06-14 21:55

Message:
libmetalink is now available from http://code.google.com/p/libmetalink/

libmetalink is a Metalink library written in C language. It is intended to provide the programs written in C to add Metalink functionality such as parsing Metalink XML files.

Comment By: Nobody (None)
Date: 2008-04-02 10:59

Message:
A very simple implementation of reading metalinks (actually stripping might be a better word) can be found in the Metalinks project svn. I once wrote a small tool called metalinklinks which extracts metalink information for bash scripts I used.

It was never released as a seperate tool because it is simply so stupid, but it may be a nice read for anybody who is going to port this C++ program to C and include it in axel. All the code is there, it just needs to be rewritten from C++ to C and the program does not depend on any library.

The source is at:

http://metalinks.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/metalinks/metalinklinks/src/

Greets,
  Bram

Comment By: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag  (appaji-guest)
Date: 2008-03-06 15:27

Message:
As of now, there are no plans to support Metalink.  The idea is to keep axel as small and simple as possible and support only HTTP and FTP.