[axel-devel] [axel-Bugs][313157] Add support for ssh tunneled connections

axel-bugs at alioth.debian.org axel-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sun Jun 5 10:52:58 UTC 2011

Bugs item #313157, was opened at 2011-06-05 10:52
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413085&aid=313157&group_id=100070

Initial Comment:
Use multiple ssh socket connections to a remote host to provide ssh transport layer for transfer.

There is ( a now abandoned ) similar program called prosilla that does this, but it is broken by newer versions of gcc (still compiles on squeeze, but newer versions of ubuntu fail ).

It works, but is full of bugs and not extensible/flexible in it's use (i.e globbing is not supported, nor are multiple files). it's method is  to dd chunks of the remote target file and then concatenate them on the receiving side.

It also does not support send operations.

Here is the original authors details:

 Latest available release is  proSilla, version 1.2
                              by Andrzej Szombierski
                              <anszom at v-lo.krakow.pl>
                                 <qq at kuku.eu.org>

http://users.v-lo.krakow.pl/~anszom/prosilla/index.en.shtml

Would be great to have ssh added to axel I note there is FTPS and HTTPS open tickets, ssh is different (and I dare say in some ways easier) and probably involves incorporating calls to ssh rather than linking.... although being no c coder I am not sure which would be better. Certainly linking will bump dependencies a lot.

At any rate a first rate feature that many users will fine useful... neigh necessary.