[Babel-users] Babel and IPV4

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Nov 9 14:08:21 UTC 2007

>    The routing protocol would be IPv6 to IPv4 tunnel aware.

I'm not sure tunnelling belongs in the routing daemon (and yes, I know
that early versions of mrouted used to implement tunnelling).  I think
it is better done in a different program, or natively at the kernel
level.  Of course, Babel has no issues routing across tunnels.

> The routing protocol would discover and keep track of IPv6 to IPv4
> gateways where tunnels are available,

No, that's a different protocol (route autoconfiguration), no need to
clutter the routing protocol with that.

> I'm part of a small 70 family wireless coop that is considering deploying
> a mesh in support of an exisiting Motorola Canopy network.

Where are you?

> The 800Mhz Canopy

Hmm... has the 800 MHz band been made license-free in the US while
I wasn't looking?

> There will be some members that do not have LOS to a Canopy AP that are
> 802.11 only, when near multiple Canopy members with a stable local mesh.
>
> We would also add 802.11 at selected Canopy Access Point sites, and replace
> the switches at the AP sites with a mesh router to allow redundant soft
> failover for the Canopy using 802.11 as a backup or alternate route.

Yes, all of this sounds like the perfect application for Babel: your
network is mostly static and to a great extent sparse, so Babel will
be much more efficient than olsr.  Obviously, we need to implement the
IPv4 support before Babel can be useful for you.

I know I'm going to be very busy until the middle of next week.  I'll
let you know when I implement something.

                                        Juliusz