[Babel-users] ahcpd and babel dying on huponomos

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Oct 25 15:09:01 UTC 2007

> ahcpd and babel are dying with EINVAL on
> setsockopt(IPV6_ADD_MEMBERSHIP), because they call this on
> interfaces with no address (namely the vpn interfaces).

That's the expected behaviour if the interfaces have no link-local
address yet.  This shouldn't happen if they do have one.

> I don't think that should be a fatal error

I guess I could sleep(1) and try again... but I'd rather clarify the
issue.

> (it works again after restarting openvpn, but.).

Hmm, there could be a race condition somewhere.  Have a look at
/etc/openvpn/up.huponomos, which does the following:

  ip -6 addr add "$addr"/64 dev ${interface}

  notify ahcpd and babel of the new interface

  /etc/init.d/babel stop
  /etc/init.d/ahcpd stop
  sleep 1
  /etc/init.d/ahcpd start
  /etc/init.d/babel start

As far as I can tell, there's no race condition in the above, but
I may be mistaken.

                                        Juliusz