[Babel-users] [Olsr-users] Heads-up: AHCP redesign

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Dec 11 21:22:26 UTC 2008

> doesn't ipv6 solve the need for ahcp by just having prefix-mac [...] ?
> Therefore ipv6 is auto-configuring by itself.

IPv6 stateless autoconf has two parts: configuring link-local addresses,
and configuring global ones.

Link-local autoconf does indeed work in mesh networks.  Configuring global
unicast addresses, on the other hand, requires receiving a router
advertisement, which doesn't work in mesh networks.

> even cooler would be olsrd on link local

Babel has been using link-local addresses for routing since the beginning,
and hence a Babel node is able to route IPv6 even when it has not been
configured (a pretty cool feature of IPv6, if you ask me).  However, such
a Babel node can only route other nodes' addresses and originate link-local
packets -- it cannot originate global packets, since it doesn't have an
address it could use as the source IP.

                                        Juliusz