[Babel-users] Babel news: automatically redistribute local addresses

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Mar 9 20:03:12 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Julien and myself have just finished implementing redistribution of
local addresses.  In other words, it is no longer necessary to
manually redistribute local addresses, you can ask Babel to do it
automatically.

Redistribution is not done by default; you will need to specify which
addresses to redistribute.  If you want all of the local addresses to
be redistributed, just specify

  redistribute local

On huponomos, where I'm testing this functionality right now, I say

  redistribute local ip 2000::/3
  redistribute local ip 134.157.168.0/24
  redistribute local ip 192.168.4.0/24

which says to redistribute all local addresses as long as they are
either globally-routable IPv6 addresses, or IPv4 addresses on either
of the PPS and the Wifi prefixes.

Of course, all of the filtering predicates are available in
a ``redistribute local'' statement (although some don't make a lot of
sense), so you can say things such as, for example,

  redistribute local if eth0
  redistribute local metric 256

In principle, it should now be possible to say

  babel -C 'redistribute local' id interfaces...

and have Babel do The Right Thing.  The next step I'm planning is to
have Babel automatically determine a suitable router-id, so that you
can say

  babel -C 'redistribute local' interfaces...

without having to specify a router id.

                                        Juliusz