[Babel-users] Gateway failure handling

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun May 3 16:50:48 UTC 2009

> Or, I guess basically run babel on the gateway devices that do the
> pppoe, so when ppp drops the route then babel should also update that
> the route has gone away, and would essentially update when the ppp
> route comes back correct ?? which it would then redistribute it to the
> lan connected APs and out into the mesh.

Yes, that's probably the best solution, if you can trust your PPP
software to reliably bring the link layer down when there's a problem.

One caveat: make sure that your PPP software installs routes with a proper
protocol number; Babel will refuse to redistribute routes unless they
carry a protocol number.

Or you might just run both babel and babel-pinger on the PPPoE endpoint,
pointing babel-pinger at the other end of the PPPoE tunnel.

                                        Juliusz