[Babel-users] Ahcpd update in OpenWrt (quick HOWTO)

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jun 1 18:54:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:44:35AM -0400, Outback Dingo wrote:
> well my netbook runs openwrt :) has babel on it, so ur saying i can install
> ahcpd in client mode there also ?

Yes indeed, follow the how-to, it should be straightforward.

> and does ahcpd support multiple network configurations?

It can broadcast several subnets, but it is then up to your client to
choose the good one (or several of them).  You should edit
/etc/ahcp/ahcp-config.sh to suit your needs (or use
/etc/ahcp/ahcp-local.sh).

See http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/ahcp/ahcpd.html for more
details.

There might be a better way to handle your use case but I can't figure
it out.

> or i guess i could use ahcpd on endpoints, but how does say windows client get
> the ip if their 2-3 hops out, is the dhcp broadcast through the network

Dhcp is NOT broadcast through the network, but, sadly, ahcp is not
available for Windows (because we only use MacOs, BSD or Linux here).
So I do not see any solution for your Windows clients right now (except
using static IPs).

Regards,
--
Gabriel Kerneis