[Babel-users] AHCP and IPv4 support

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 7 22:36:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 04:40:07PM -0500, Charles Boyd wrote:
> We want to have support for Android < 2.0 as well.

Did you try?  If the interface has an IPv6 local address (fe80::) it
should work.  I have no Android < 2.0 here to test it.

> I haven't taken a look at the code or read very much of the documentation for
> AHCP, so perhaps this question is answered somewhere already, but why does AHCP
> require some sort of IPv6 communication?

Because it is the easiest way to perform link-local communication and
any decent system should support it nowadays.

There is no reason why it wouldn't work with IPv4, but you should extend
the protocol accordingly and go through the burden of writing the
corresponding code (and then, ideally, convince Juliusz to merge it into
upstream ahcpd ;-)

Let us know if it works!
--
Gabriel