[Babel-users] [Olsr-dev] Announcing MeshApp, A Mobile Application for Wireless Mesh Networking

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sat Jun 12 11:29:44 UTC 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 6:24 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Hi, Charles, nice to meet you.
>
>> http://wlan-lj.net/wiki/Podrobnosti/MeshApp
>
> Very interesting.
>
> Milestone 1.0 is perhaps a little too ambitious -- I suggest you should
> start by fixing just one mode of operation, in order to get a working
> prototype as soon as possible.  For example, you could start by just
> making it possible to join an existing mesh, while creating your own
> mesh should be milestone 1.1.

IMHO there is not much difference actually...
The hard thing is to get ad-hoc to work properly.

> Nameservice, GPS etc. should also not be part of 1.0.
>
> One thing you may want to keep in mind is to make as much of the
> software you develop routing-protocol agnostic.  For example, you speak
> about developing visualisation software, it'd be great if it were
> cleanly split into a visualision core, and a module to interface to
> olsrd.

I believe the dot(1) format is usually sufficient as an abstract layer to describe
the networks (for visualization purposes).
It is very easy to parse, you get a first impression by running the graphviz tools
and of course you can visualize it via Java on the phone itself if you want that to do
that (but it might make sense to limit the graph because the screen is so small.
Like just to show the 2 hop neighbours)

So: Juliusz - I believe Babel would profit it if could simply also dump it's topology
via the dot(1) format. Then the visualization is routing protocol agnostic.

Best regards,
A.

> Oh, and happy learning Slovenian ;-)

Well, french would be just as hard to learn ;-)