[Babel-users] Babel Android & Maemo GUI

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun May 16 17:11:17 UTC 2010

> Android does support ad-hoc once you change default WiFi configuration
> a little bit.

Ah, okay.

The main issue remains, though -- you need to run the routing daemon as
root.

> Does Babel have a way or retrieving/monitoring state of whole mesh? In
> OLSR every node have knowledge about whole mesh. How it is with Babel?

No, you only have information about your 2-neighbourhood.  This is by
design -- it's the one of the reasons why Babel scales better than OLSR.

>> I'd additionally like to very strongly encourage you to consider
>> interaction with ahcpd[1], which is routing-protocol agnostic -- it
>> works with OLSR as it works with Babel as it would work with any other
>> routing protoocol.
>
> I didn't know that ahcpd is routing-protocol agnostic. This is great
> because I had exactly this problem with our GUI. How to assign a
> temporary IP to somebody using GUI app.
>
> But this does not work in IPv4 only networks?

Yes, it does.  AHCP protocol version 1 (as implemented by ahcpd 0.50 and
later) does not require either IPv4 or IPv6 routing -- it "just works".

It *does* require that you have IPv6 in your kernel, and that the
interfaces be IPv6-capable (i.e. you cannot run AHCP over SLIP interfaces),
since it uses IPv6 for link-local communication.  (There's no reason it
couldn't use IPv4 or even raw Ethernet frames for that, but I find it
easier to work with IPv6.)  I understand this is not a problem with
Android version 2.0 and later.

                                        Juliusz