[Babel-users] ETX metric for bandwidth limited links

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Thu May 20 16:30:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>
>> Maybe I have not asked the question correctly: does it selects (by
>> default) in both directions the best path (even if they are different)
>> or does it selects only one path which is the best for both
>> directions.
>
> The Babel algorithm choses paths of smallest metric.  This can, in
> general, lead to asymmetric routing.
>
> The two metrics implemented in the current version of babeld (2-3 and
> ETX) are symmetric -- i.e. the current implementation will give the same
> costs to links in both directions.  This implies that in a stable
> network, routing will be symmetric unless you manually tweak costs and
> metrics (using e.g. filtering).
>
>> Is there some reason why would be prefer in our networks paths which
>> are the same for both directions?
>
> Please read the ETX paper[1] to understand why ETX is defined the way it
> is defined.
>
> Babeld is fairly modular, and it's trivial to experiment with new
> metrics in Babel, so if you have an ideas about how to improve on ETX,
> I'm listening.  (But please read Sections 3.4.3, 3.5.2 and 3.6, as well
> as Appendix A of the Babel draft[2] before you make any suggestions.)
>
> --jch
>
> [1] De Couto, D., Aguayo, D., Bicket, J., and R. Morris, "A
>    high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless networks",
>    Proc. MobiCom 2003, 2003.

ETX does not take into account the physical characteristics of a path.

It relies on a statistic made at the IP layer counting the number of
packet loss.

It does not make any distinction on whether the link is a gigabit one or a 56k.

Correct me if I am wrong.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403