[Babel-users] [IETF I-D Submission Tool] New Version Notification for draft-chroboczek-babel-routing-protocol-05

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 21:19:29 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> We're planning to have two versions of Babel.  BabelFree will be
> available under the current license and suffer from routing loops; for
> full loop-freeness, we recommend BabelPro (available for $29.95 plus tax).

Will not this just lead to a community based fork? And you will give
binary only daemons then for BabelPro version? Will this be per node
or per program costs? Or simply an installation package does not
matter on how big network it is used? Or will be just a specification?
Or will be specification free? It will be standardized? As I
understand it will be an extension to babel protocol?

> Since the draft presents Babel as a fully general routing protocol, and
> not as merely a protocol restricted to mesh networks, it makes sense to
> make it clear that Babel is not loop-free in general.  Which is what the
> IESG review suggested.

But there is a way to achieve loop-free networks, why you do not
document that? I understand this is a standard, so why not have all
this in the standard? Or will this be a closed standard extension? How
will this then influence interoperability?

Mitar