[Babel-users] New port for Babel

Wed Aug 10 09:56:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:24, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> As some of you may know, I'm going to have to change the IANA-allocated
> port for Babel, since the current assignment (6697) conflicts with
> IRC/SSL, and it turns out that the RFC-Editor prefers to keep port
> numbers separate.  (Yes, that means issuing a new RFC.  Sigh.)

>From how I understand things, it will not be a new RFC, but "merely"
an errata. I am not sure, though.

> I'd really like not to have to go through that again, so I'd like your
> help with making sure that the new port I choose is really not being
> used for anything important.

I am not aware of any use and googling [1],[2] does not turn up
anything, either.

> (before you ask: 666 is already taken)

Doooooooom!
Also, it's a system, not a user, port which means it's most likely
useless to you and needs more rationale as IANA does not hand them out
easily, these days.

Richard

[1] http://ports.my-addr.com/tcp_port-udp_port-application-and-description.php?port=6696
[2] http://isc.sans.edu/port.html?port=6696