[Babel-users] newbie questions

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jul 5 13:24:32 UTC 2011

>> if they run babeld, they'll get routes automatically (and help
>> propagate babel message and route packets); if they run both,
>> everything is perfect and dhcp is not needed.

The deployment model I'm thinking of is to have routers with two
interfaces (physical or virtual), one running Babel, and one running
DHCP.  Address distribution can be done either manually, or using AHCP.
(Prefix delegation is not ready yet in AHCP.)

> Most transient folks are running iphones, windows phones/laptops and
> android phones which as far as I know have no ahcp or babeld packages
> available for yet.

Yep, that's why you want an interface running DHCP on each router.

> I may not have it set-up correctly but I just edit the olsr.conf file
> to select the interfaces I want it to run on for my personal nodes and
> everything else is just radvd and dhcpd because I never heard of ahcp
> before a few weeks ago.  Transient machines just seem to use the
> ad-hoc network normally without knowing anything about olsr except one
> or two iphone users I've set-up with their iphone package.

The same setup should work with Babel (not separating the Babel network
from the DHCP interfaces).

-- Juliusz