[Babel-users] babeld

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Jul 14 20:06:11 UTC 2011

> babeld.c, 632:
> logfile hasn't been changed since the previous reopen_logfile, why
> reopening ?

That's for logrotate to do its job -- we need to reopen the logfile
whenever logrotate renames the old one, else the file descriptor points
at the old (renamed) file.

(But I realise there's a bug.  I'll fix it ASAP.)

> babeld.c, 286-298:
> Why redirecting stdin on /dev/null before closing?

We don't close stdin -- we close the file descriptor that we got when we
opened /dev/null.

(Redirecting stdxxx to /dev/null is standard practice to prevent the
daemon from hanging to the terminal.  Yeah, it's stupid, init should be
able to do that for us, but that's the way System V Init expects things
to be done.)

> kernel_netlink.c, 489:
> read_proc / write_proc?
> (in fact: what do kernel_setup ?)

By default, a Linux kernel is set up to be a host, not a router.
kernel_setup tweaks the kernel to enable forwarding, i.e. to behave like
a router.

read_proc/write_proc read and write files under /proc/sys/net.

> babel.c (suite):
> why having separate kernel_setup from kernel_setup_socket ?

No good reason.

-- Juliusz