[Babel-users] babel and BGP

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Feb 6 18:58:52 UTC 2012

Hi Saverio !

> if I have a network where my IGP protocol is babel, there is anyway to
> make babel speak to a BGP daemon (quagga) to have a consistent BGP and
> IGP routing ?

> there is anything similar to the olsrd quagga plugin ?

As Dingo noticed, Boutier's fork of Babel works within quagga, and it is
rock solid.

The standalone babeld daemon is also able to interoperate with other
routing protocols using the BSD style of redistribution -- through the
kernel.  This is described on

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.routing.babel.user/70

So it pretty much depends on which style of redistribution you're more
comfortable with -- the old BSD style (which I happen to like), or the
Cisco/quagga style (which most people seem to prefer).  If you choose to
use the quagga version, you'll be doing us a favour, since we need more
people testing this fork.

(Note however that right now there are a small number of features that
babeld has and that the quagga version lacks; if you hit any of the
limitations, it should be easy enough to either get us to backport any
missing features, or to switch to the standalone daemon.)

-- Juliusz