[Babel-users] no via line in zebra/quagga routes

Denis Ovsienko infrastation at yandex.ru
Thu Feb 9 07:20:01 UTC 2012

09.02.2012, 00:23, "Juliusz Chroboczek" <jch at pps.jussieu.fr>:
>>  1) When testing against an older babel (circa september)
>>
>>  The zebra version would not install "via" routes for
>>  subnets.
>
> Okay, I'm starting to understand.  IPv6 works fine, it's only IPv4
> that's broken.  (Why don't we all switch to IPv6 and be done with it?)
>
> Babel sets both the gateway and the interface when installing a route,
> whether it is local or not.  While this is the standard way to install
> a route in IPv6, it's not standard in IPv4, where local routes are
> traditionally installed with an interface only, while non-local routes
> are installed with a gateway address only.
>
> Apparently, either quagga doesn't like an IPv4 route to have both
> a next-hop address and an ifindex, or we're doing something wrong.  I'll
> try to fix it later tonight.

IPv4 didn't work for me either, this was briefly noted before. I am not sure, if any IPv4 information was ever exchanged in PDUs. It is likely, that ifindex-less nexthops work Ok, but nexthop+address nexthops are also supported in ZAPI, it is NEXTHOP_TYPE_IPV4_IFINDEX. ospfd should use a similar call for route management, it can be used as an example.

>>  2) When testing the quagga version against a more recent babel [...]
>>  I'm getting nothing at all
>
> Can you confirm that?

Did not test against standalone babeld.

--