[Babel-users] Babel for Quagga status

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Feb 9 19:29:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've spent much of the last two days reading the Babel/Quagga code.
Many, many thanks to Matthieu Boutier and Denis Ovsienko for getting
this to work.

Unless I'm confused, here's the current status.

Basic functionality
*******************

For IPv6, Babel/Quagga should be just as functional as the standalone
implementation.

For IPv4, you need to have a prefix on your interfaces that covers all
your neighbours, and the prefixes on all of your interfaces must be
disjoint.  This is standard practice in traditional networks, but of
course not in pure meshes.

You can check whether you're bitten by that by typing "show ip route";
if any of the Babel routes are marked as inactive, that's probably your
problem.

Configuration
*************

The configuration interface is not quite complete yet, but should be
sufficient unless you're a compulsive tweaker.

Vtysh support has landed in the tree yesterday, and it's really cool.
Try "show ip route", "show ipv6 route", "show babel database", etc.  You
should in principle be able to tweak redistribution on the fly by doing
"configure terminal" then "router babel", but I haven't tested whether it
actually works.

Access lists
************

Access list support appears to need some tweaking -- I haven't managed
to apply both an IPv4 and an IPv6 access list to the same interface.

Redistribution

Redistributing Kernel->Babel, RIP->Babel and RIPng->Babel work fine.  (I
cannot easily test OSPF->Babel and BGP->Babel.)  Babel->RIP and
Babel->RIPng don't work, I'll look into it.

There is no support for route maps in Babel.  That's a serious limi-
tation, but it will be a lot of work to fix that.

-- Juliusz