[Babel-users] preferred source address on installed routes

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 6 13:09:57 UTC 2012

Julien,

What you're suggesting is a pretty horrible hack, I'm not sure how
I feel about it.

> - eth0: linked to the FAI box
>   - 2001:db8:1:3::5/64 scope global temporary dynamic
>   - with a default route via fe80::1
> - eth1:
>   - 2001:db8:42:2::1/64 scope global
>   - radvd/dhcpd6 to other machines
> - several tap interfaces for tunnels

Ok.  So your problem is that you're using Cisco-style unnumbered interfaces.

Under Linux, the way to achieve that is to put the VPN address on all of
the tunnel interfaces.

> * Why 'src' ? Because most of time, the VPN IP is not on the outgoing
> interface,

Wouldn't putting the VPN address on all of your tunnel interfaces solve
your problem at the kernel level?  This would avoid putting this kind of
intelligence in Babel.

-- Juliusz