[Babel-users] AHCP and hostnames [was: Announce hostname on local interface]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:42:14 UTC 2013

I had put up several of my thoughts towards extending the ahcp
protocol somewhat, here:

https://github.com/dtaht/dnsmasq-ahcp/blob/master/src/ahcp-extensions.md

I never got much further than getting some syntax support for ahcp
into that version of dnsmasq and having it open the socket, and was
perfectly fine with the idea of merely building a 2nd 100% compatible
server implementation.

That said I haven't had time to complete the work, and started to want
to layer new cruft in there (like some sort of auth scheme) that was
better than dhcp, that could somehow scale to guifi.net levels...

There has been a great deal of development of dnsmasq since that has
really moved dhcpv6 forward, in particular, and dnsmasq now handles RA
by itself (radvd is now obsolete in the new ipv6-support openwrt
package, which also has a new dhcpv6-pd support daemon)... but...

I'm pretty convinced that retaining the meshy /32 and /128 p2p address
allocation scheme in ahcp is very useful, particularly in reducing
route table size and used up and scarce ipv4 addresses - and seemingly
a paucity of ipv6 addresses - but right now it's rather hard to
interoperate the way the world seems to be going.

--
Dave Täht