[Babel-users] SIGHUP shouldn't kill babeld

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx
Sat Sep 21 15:16:39 UTC 2013

Hello!

After noticing a 80MB babeld logfile on my router, I figured I would
implement log rotation for it. Unfortunately, it turns out that babeld
exits when it receives SIGHUP, the default signal delivered by log
rotation software (at least newsyslog in FreeBSD and logrotate in
Debian).

It is a very old tradition in UNIX daemons to use the SIGHUP signal for
exactly that reason: reload your config files and reopen your logs!

This seems to be what SIGUSR2 is doing to babel, and while I can adapt
my configuration to do that, it seems more appropriate for Babel to
follow usual standards.

here's a patch.