[Babel-users] the routing atomic update wet paint - because *I* care

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 00:03:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>> Babel (dont know about OLSR) finds a "usable" path, then tunes to a
>> better one, but each tuning step (particularly at high rates) can lose
>> packets, which cause rate reductions. Ideally would like to never lose
>> packets while tuning happens.
>
> I agree, but I would like to know how many packets we lose.  Since the
> remove/insert happen in quick succession, I'd expect it to be very few.

My own noted issue is that at high rates, on cheezy routers, we run out of cpu,
while forwarding packets.

One daemon, hostapd, wants to run at a pretty high rate, and falls
behind its desired rate...
and the context switch and what little work it does alone - costs
80Mbits of forwarding,
currently, on the archer tplink c7 v2. (can send along a graph)

You would hope that there would be no significant processing between syscalls in
babel but it is hard to measure, and the easiest thing for me would merely to
have been measuring the loss between atomic changes and not during
the optimization phase.

As it is I will try to setup some artificial benchmarks showing how much packet
loss there really is when going from a wan connection to ethernet, as opposed to
reordering. It might be interesting to show how windows behaves here as it as
not yet got any decent mechanisms for handling reordering and slows down a lot.

And I will keep touching the wet paint. A 4 phase commit seems feasible:

add new route with metric 1025
del old route metric 1024
add same route metric 1024
del same route metric 1025

But dang it a single syscall should be doable, and if it isnt then the
kernel APIs need to be fixed.

And I do wish more of the routing folk out there tested their stuff at
saturating workloads and differing RTTs such as what I do with
netperf-wrapper rrul, rtt_fair, and rrul_be tests. I need to get on
formalizing those tests for battlemesh.

--
Dave Täht
We CAN make better hardware, ourselves, beat bufferbloat, and take

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onetswitch/onetswitch-open-source-hardware-for-networking